Panyard Sensations Kicks off in the North with Tokyo at Renegades Pan Theatre
The eighth edition of Panyard Sensations kicks off this Friday at the Renegades Pan Theatre, Charlotte Street, with host band Tokyo at 7:00 pm. The collaborative production between The Tourism Development Company (TDC) and Pan Trinbago Inc. is a series of community based steelpan events held in the pan body’s four competition zones; north, east, south/central (Trinidad) and Tobago during the month of September.
Panyard Sensations creates a revenue-generating opportunity for the selected bands as they display their entrepreneurial skills. It also develops sustainable cultural activities throughout Trinidad & Tobago that would attract foreign visitors and give them a real pan yard experience as well as assist with the development of a sustainable market for the National Instrument outside of the Carnival Season
These concert “limes” featuring six (6) bands at various locations in Trinidad & Tobago will run for two weekends starting on Friday 25th September and culminating on Sunday 4th October 2009 in Tobago. All shows commence at 7:00 pm except in Tobago at which the starting time is 6:00 pm.
This year’s Sensations schedule is as follows:
- Tokyo Steel Orchestra at bp Renegades Pan Theatre, Charlotte Street,Port of Spain, Friday 25th September, 2009
- birdsong Steel Orchestra at Daaga Hall, University of the West Indies, St. Augustine, Saturday 26th September 2009
- Curepe Scherzando at Scherzando Pan Yard, 1 Evans Street, Curepe, Sunday 27th September 2009
- Starlift Steel Orchestra at Starlift House of Music, Mucurapo Road, Mucurapo, Friday 2nd October 2009
- Tropical Angel Harps at Tropical Angel Harps Pan Theatre, Main Road, Enterprise, Chaguanas, Saturday 3rd October 2009
- RBTT Redemption Sound Setters Steel Orchestra, Redemption Sound Setters Pan Theatre, Montgomery, Tobago, Sunday 4th October 2009
As in past Sensations, steel orchestras will host guest artistes including a Single Pan Steelband in what has evolved into nights of scintillating musical and cultural treats.
Admission to each of these events is $50.